Kenya’s Giant Telco, Safaricom PLC on Thursday appointed Mr. Peter Ndegwa as the company’s Chief Executive Officer effective April 1, 2020.
Mr. Ndegwa who is currently the Managing Director at Diageo PLC (Diageo Continental Europe) will replace Bob Collymore who succumbed to cancer on 1st July 2019.
Here are key things you should know about the newest CEO in town:
- MBA from the London Business School
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the University of Nairobi
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK)
- Ndegwa started his career at PwC, the global consulting firm, where he worked for 11 years.
- Served for eight years at EABL Nairobi as the Group Chief Finance Officer (CFO), Group Strategy Director, Sales Director, and as an Executive Director on the EABL Board.
- served for seven years as CEO in Guinness Nigeria PLC and Guinness Ghana Breweries PLC,
- Orchestrated the production of new beer brands at EABL -such as Senator Beer – which became one of the most successful innovations by Diageo and has been featured in the Harvard Business Review.
- Oversaw the operations of Diageo PLC in 50 countries in Western and Eastern Europe, Russia, Middle East and North Africa region as the MD of Diageo PLC Europe.
Safaricom PLC is confident that Peter will carry on their vision of transforming lives and meeting their over 31 million subscribers needs. “We are confident that Peter will carry on our vision of transforming lives while keeping us focused on meeting our customers’ needs and holding us to our new commitment of being Simple, Transparent and Honest.” States part of the statement by Safaricom’s Chairman, Nicholas Nganga.