Controversial politician Steve Mbogo may soon walk without a firearm or permit as the Firearms and Licensing Board is contemplating not issuing him with a new licence.
Mbogo who vied but lost the Starehe MP seat in 2017 will have his guns detained, a move he argues is unfair and abuse of his Constitutional right.
According to documents filed in court, Mbogo argues he is a law abiding citizen who rightfully exercise his rights as a member of the society governed by the constitution to legally acquire the 4 firearms he has been in possession of.
Through his lawyer Willis Evans, Mbogo says he received oral communication from the Board on February 5 and is yet to get an explanation leading to the decision.
“My client applied for the license of the firearms and was issued with the certificate which has been lawfully renewed since acquisition, so we therefore cannot understand why his licence may be withheld but we will pursue it to the core.” said Evans.
Evans stated that it will be a danger to Mbogo’s own security given his position in the society and hopes the case will be heard in its urgency.
He wants the court to compel the board to return and hand over his firearms certificates.
Mbogo has been owning Smith and Wesson, Auto Pistol, Taurus shot gun, Anakon Shot gun,
22 rounds of 9mm and 16 rounds of 2.0 mm guns.
The politician was captured with wielding a rifle and bulletproof vest at the scene of the Dusit D2 Hotel attack a move that did not go down well with most Kenyans.
Mbogo claimed that he was a victim of the 2013 Westgate terror attack and as a licensed gun holder he could not sit back and watch.
So far over 340 licence owners have been cleared with the exercise expected to end on March 7 when the committee expects to have vetted all the 7,000 licensed firearms holders in Nairobi.
Every firearm holder is expected to pay Sh2,000 for the analysis and Sh5,000 for a new smart card.
The vetting was ordered by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i last year to digitise records and improve regulation.